have a possible poisoning emergency, call 1-800-222-1222
and you will be automatically transferred to the closest poison control
Many of the items in our homes can be poisonous to
children-household cleaners, medicines, cosmetics, garden products, and
houseplants. If these items are not kept out of reach, your child could
swallow, inhale, or eat these toxic substances or get them on his or her
Young children have the highest risk of poisoning because
of their natural curiosity. Products that are poisonous to children can also
Use the following tips to keep dangerous products or
items away from children.
CitationsNational Pesticide Information Center (2008). Signal words. Available online: http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/signalwords.html.Other Works ConsultedWang G, et al. (2014). Poisoning. In WW Hay Jr et al., eds., Current Diagnosis and Treatment: Pediatrics, 22nd ed., pp. 357-386. New York: McGraw-Hill.
ByHealthwise StaffPrimary Medical ReviewerJohn Pope, MD - PediatricsKathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Current as ofMay 4, 2017
Current as of:
May 4, 2017
John Pope, MD - Pediatrics & Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Last modified on: 8 September 2017